Water Street Station
Madison Avenue and Water Street
The massive brick industrial building guarding Promenade Park is known today as the ProMedica Headquarters, but it was originally named Water Street Station.
At the time of construction, the building covered 30,000 square feet, making it one of the largest power plants in the Midwest.
This Italian Renaissance inspired structure was built between 1895 and 1897 by the Toledo Traction Company on riverfront property previously occupied by two grain elevators. It is one of two buildings in Toledo designed by Daniel H. Burnham & Company of Chicago, the same firm that designed Union Station in Washington D.C. and the Flatiron Building, one of the most iconic skyscrapers and characters of New York City. The other Toledo building designed by Burnham is located just across Summit Street from the Romanesque facades of Water Street Station and was originally called the Second National Bank Building. This early skyscraper stood as Toledo’s tallest building for 17 years after its public opening in 1913 and is known today as the Riverfront Apartments.
Water Street Station was the first Toledo power plant to distribute licensed electricity via Thomas Edison's new alternating current (AC) "three-wire system," a type of single-phase electric power distribution system. At the time of construction, the building covered 30,000 square feet, making it one of the largest power plants in the Midwest. It was originally designed to provide power for trolley cars as its primary purpose—generating electricity for arc lights, buildings and residences was secondary. When it opened, the plant's four rope-drive Wheelock engines produced 4,000 KW of power which was predicted to be “sufficient to serve the needs of Toledo for 25 years.” However, the demand for electricity outpaced the plant's capacity from the day it opened. According to the January 6, 1912 edition of Electrical World, at its peak, Water Street Station burned 450 tons of coal daily during the winter months to keep up with Toledo's demand for the new-found power of electricity.
Through mergers and acquisitions of several street car companies, steam heating suppliers, and electricity plants, Toledo Traction Company (itself a result of an 1892 consolidation of street car companies) would morph into Toledo Railway & Light Co. (Rail Light) in 1901.
As the name of Water Street Station's owner changed, so too did the building. It originally had 11 arcaded bays but 6 expansions of the building by 1910 (precipitated by Toledo's growing demand for electricity) expanded its original shape by one full third. In 1907, one of the earliest turbine-generator units to be used in the United States was installed. By 1908, a second turbine was installed. In 1910, Willys-Overland became the plant's first industrial electrical customer. In 1913, Henry L. Doherty, owner of Cities Service, Co (later to become CITGO) assumed control of the plant when Toledo Railways & Light Co. sold to Toledo Traction Light & Power Co. and yet another turbine was added to Water Street Station. This one was capable of producing 12,500 KW, which was more than three times the power of the first Wheelock engines installed at the plant. Two more were added in 1916 to the meet the insatiable demands of Toledo's industrial giants like Willy's, Libbey Glass, and Champion Spark Plug. In fact, by 1914, the world's longest high tension underground system composed of five 23,000 volt cables was put into operation between Water Street Station and the Willys-Overland plant in west Toledo.
During the early 1900s, working conditions at this power house were poor and dangerous, but with a long line of people willing to work, employers didn't worry too much about labor conditions. According to a review of Water Street Station records conducted by the Ward M. Canaday Center at the University of Toledo, plant operators worked twelve hour shifts, seven days a week, with only one day off per month and two weeks of vacation a year. Repairmen worked ten hour shifts plus overtime with no additional compensation, and again, received only two weeks of vacation time.
The constant expansion of Water Street Station slowed in 1918 with the opening of the Acme Plant in East Toledo. The Acme Plant was built on the site of a former steel mill operation by the Acme Power Company. In 1921, another consolidation took place and Toledo Traction Light & Power Co. sold off its railway property to Community Traction Company and changed its name to Toledo Edison Company. That same year, the Acme Plant became the major power source for Northwestern Ohio. In 1929, a major transformation at Water Street Station took place when underground pipes were installed, extending as far as the YMCA at Jefferson and 11th Street, as the plant was converted to a steam heat supplier to provide heating for office buildings, stores, theaters, and hotels throughout downtown Toledo. It was the end of an era for Water Street Station and the beginning of a new one for the Toledo Edison Steam Plant, which would serve downtown Toledo until the early 1980s. At its peak as a heating supplier in the 1950's, the Steam Plant heated almost 300 downtown buildings.
Although the Steam Plant underwent extensive repair and remodeling in 1975, the decade saw the demise of steam heating in Toledo. By the 1970's the number of steam heating customers dwindled as new buildings added their own more efficient environmental systems and older buildings were either demolished for "urban renewal" (unfortunately, this often meant surface parking) or refurbished with up-to-date heating systems. As the demand for steam heating decreased, the cost for existing customers increased. By 1984, Toledo Edison released figures that showed operating losses for the previous six years and the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio granted permission to retire the plant. It ceased operation as a steam plant in 1985. After closing the plant, Toledo Edison was unable to find a compelling fit for potential commercial re-use opportunities and gave the plant to the City of Toledo. The steam plant was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003
Today, after sitting empty for 30 years, Water Street Station is beginning another era as it is now the headquarters of ProMedica Health System.
Here is a "Gee, I didn't know that" fact: At its peak production period, Water Street Station had four smoke stacks - not two.