Anthony Wayne Bridge
The story of Toledo's High Level.
Commonly called the "High Level Bridge," the Anthony Wayne Bridge was designed by Waddell and Hardesty and built by McClintic-Marshall Company, which is the same company that built the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit. The Anthony Wayne Bridge was completed in 1931 at a cost of $2.6 million. Today, the High Level carries Ohio state routes 2, 51 and 65 over the Maumee River.
The main span is 785 feet long and the two “side spans” are 233 feet long.
Named after General Anthony Wayne, the victorious commander of the Legion of the United States at the Battle of Fallen Timbers, this bridge has three spans suspended by steel cables. The main span is 785 feet long and the two “side spans” are 233 feet long. It is the last suspension bridge on the Ohio state highway network after the Fort Steuben Bridge was demolished on February 22, 2012.